Job opportunities at Iskandar Malaysia: It’s the next big place to work!
With an expected increase in job opportunities and a rising new economy, Iskandar is the place to be for people to launch a successful career. Let’s take a look at what awaits you here.
Launched in November 2006, Iskandar Malaysia is set to become the country’s most developed region in the south where living, entertainment, environment and business converge within a bustling and vibrant metropolis. The first of its kind, the Government has allocated RM7.3bil for its development to transform this region into a world-class state.
Its strategic location – which is easily accessible by leading Asian cities – has attracted an influx of both foreign and domestic investments and high-level corporate investors who seek to benefit from Iskandar’s many advantages and high-growth potential. With a size of 2,217 sq km (approximately three times the size of Singapore), Iskandar is envisioned to be a strong and sustainable metropolis of international standing by 2025.
Since its inception, Iskandar has recorded a total cumulative committed investment of RM106.31bil in various sectors with 41% being realised as of December 2012.
What does this mean to career seekers? Plenty of opportunities! With its expected rising new economy, it is no wonder that Iskandar is the country’s next big place to work. The Iskandar Regional Development Authority (Irda) – the Federal statutory body responsible for realising the vision and objectives of Iskandar – is set to make Iskandar relevant and unique, especially to draw talents both local and foreign to this region.
Currently, with its growth of investment, the region has generated an increase in economic activities and correspondingly, higher demand for employees. In fact, it is estimated that 390,000 new jobs have been created in the manufacturing and service sectors alone from 2007 to 2012. The good news? Many more jobs will be made available for career seekers!
WHY YOU SHOULD CONSIDER ISKANDAR AS A FUTURE EMPLOYMENT HOT SPOT
• Low inflation rate (less than 3.5%) and unemployment rate of 3%-4%.
• High-income jobs available in an affordable living environment.
• State-of-the-art telecommunications with efficient and transparent public institutional framework with better connectivity and mobility initiatives being put into place as the region continues to grow.
• Dynamic knowledge-based existing clusters for information technology, biotechnology, tourism, education and healthcare, Islamic finance, manufacturing, and electrical and electronic industries.
• Excellent international tourist destinations and sports facilities, including shopping and healthcare.
• Ample amount of land spaces for future housing or recreational institution developments.
• Well thought-out framework, where developments are built for you and your family in mind.
• Affordable quality housing, excellent education and healthcare infrastructure within safe, liveable communities.
• 15% tax rate scheme for knowledge workers.
• Close proximity with various other global hubs.
• Crime prevention efforts to ensure a safe living environment for all.
THE JOB OPPORTUNITIES THAT AWAIT YOU IN ISKANDAR
Since its inception in 2006, 554,769 jobs have been created in Iskandar Malaysia. Out of that, less than 40% has been filled. Here’s a quick look on what awaits career seekers in specific sectors.
FOOD AND AGRO PROCESSING
Percentage from total jobs created: 10.4%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: Kulim (M) Bhd, KFC Holdings (M) Bhd
Percentage from total jobs created: 6.56%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: Thistle, Grand Bluewave, KSL Resort
ICT & CREATIVE
Percentage from total jobs created: 0.37%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: JuniAsia, NTT MSC
Percentage from total jobs created: 3.96%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: CIMB, Maybank, CSOS
ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS AND PETRO & OLEOCHEMICALS
Percentage from total jobs created: 47.2%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: Celestica, Dyson, Western Digital, Technip, Halliburton
Percentage from total jobs created: 2.02%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: Evergreen Heavy Industrial Corp (M)
Percentage from total jobs created: 29.5%
Example of existing employers in Iskandar: JPO, UEM Land, UDA Land
MORE TO COME!
• Petronas Refinery and Petrochemical Integrated Development (Rapid) is set to create 40,000 direct employment and 100,000 indirect employment till 2016.
• Pinewood Iskandar Malaysia Studios will employ more than 2,000 starting this year, up to 9000.
• Dato’ Onn Specialist Hospital will hire more than 900 individuals starting 2014.
• Educity seeks more than 7,000 talents.
• Frost & Sullivan will employ approximately 800 career seekers till 2018.
• Other projects are set to operate in Iskandar like MSC Cyberport City, Afinity Medini and AviraResort Wellness, Motorsports City, China Mall, Ascendas High Tech Park and many more….an exciting place to live and work indeed!